Thursday, July 16, 2009

Laundry Woes!!

I am so not happy! My Whirlpool washing machine has decided to take a vacation. Yup, Tuesday afternoon the washing machine started flashing numbers and not starting. I looked at my manual and fiddled with the machine. I managed to get a load started so I patted myself on the back and went on my merry way. When I came back, more numbers flashing and the machine wouldn't do anything.

So starts what I believe could be a long saga of laundry woes. We bought this washer about 1 1/2 years ago from Lowes. We did purchase the extended warranty. On Wednesday, I called the service phone number that I had attached to machine. I was told by the service department that I needed the original receipt to claim my extended warranty. I told her that I was not sure where it was and that I was never told that I needed the receipt for the warranty. She explained that the receipt said to keep it for the warranty. Note to everyone: if you buy a warranty at Lowes then keep the receipt.

The service department said that they would give me a one-time courtesy service call but I will need my receipt for any more repairs. Looks like I will be spending Saturday looking for my receipt. The repair person cannot come until Monday. Hmm.. how long can I go before I have to go to a laundromat??

Now, here is the more worrisome part for me. My last washing machine lasted for 19 years! Yes, 19 years of wonderful washing with only 1 minor repair. When it died, my husband and I decided to go with the new front loader Whirlpool washer. We choose this washer because of the high ratings and energy efficiency. After owning it for only a 1 1/2 years , we are already having problems.

I did a little research on the Internet and I am not the only person having problems. From the research that I did, it looks like my Whirlpool washer is a big fat lemon. Lots of problems being reported on this machine. Check out the reviews
here on Amazon.com . Very depressing!

Hopefully the repairman can fix my washer on Monday. I will just have to hope for the best!

5 comments:

Kayla said...

Thanks for stoping by! Gosh, I'm sorry you have to go through that! I'm always worried about things like that when we purchase "bigger ticket" items that we expect to last at least 8-10 years.... They sure don't make things like they use to! That's for darn sure! Note to self: I will make sure to keep all recepits for any major applicances purchases from Lowe's and probably everywhere else from now on! :-) Take care and good luck with the laundry!

Sandy S said...

Thanks Kayla! I am trying to think positively! I feel like trying to be the Little Engine That Could. My mantra is "I can find the receipt, I can find receipt!"

Anonymous said...

Sandy,

I worked for Sears for two years and a reciept was never needed for the extended warranty for repair. I am not sure how to do it (it was not my "expert" area, but you can also purchase an extended warranty through Sears even if you did not purchase the item there. Granted, it has been a year since I worked for Sears, but this may still be an option if you are interested.

With that said, Lowe's should have something on file also (I worked for them about 10 years ago when I was in college) and info was taken for the warranty info. I would recommend speaking to a supervisor if you have further issues that are not being resolved. Also a letter to the CEO should also get something done. Keep in mind the CEO will never read your letter, but a letter addressed to him or her along with a complaint to the Better Business Buearu will get things working in your favor. Just a few tricks of the trade.

Tracie, IA

Christel said...

Good to know.. thanks for sharing!! We just bought an LG HE washer.. looked at a lot of reviews first and none had any major probs.. we also purchased the 4 yr warranty. So far, I love it!! After 4+ years I hope to still love it!!

Sandy S said...

Thanks for all the support! I am thinking more positively now!

Post a Comment

All commments are moderated. Do not be alarmed if your comment does not appear right away.

 
ss_blog_claim=49eb50ef08c1be1f6cc3303f58152710

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.