Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Extreme Couponing Backlash is Everywhere

All of us "old couponers" knew that it was going to happen. We knew that companies and grocery stores would not like seeing couponers with basements full of free or extremely cheap products. We knew that after seeing the Extreme Couponing show, many people would try to become extreme couponers. As newbies, they would try to imitate the extreme couponers habits and try to take short cuts. Granted they would make honest mistakes also but their naivete could cause grocery stores to change their coupon policies and crack down on coupon usage.

I don't blame anyone for wanting to save some money by using coupons. Heck, I have been using coupons since I was a kid. My mom used coupons and taught me about saving money. I subscribed to Refunding Makes Cents when it was the largest refunding and couponing magazine. Way before the Internet.

So if you are a new couponer, try to follow the "coupon etiquette" rules.
Here are some things that you should
not do:

• Taking all the coupons off the coupon tear pads at the store.

• Stealing (Yes, stealing!) coupon inserts from papers that you have not purchased.

• Taking (Stealing again!) papers from people's houses because you thought they were gone and didn't need the paper.

• Tearing coupons off products that you have not purchased.

• Clearing the shelves and not leaving any products for someone else. You see this a lot on the Extreme Couponing show.

• Using coupons for the wrong item.

I don't blame the new couponers. I blame the Extreme Couponing show which has shown most of the offenses listed above.

My local paper ran a story yesterday saying that coupon theft at the grocery stores has really increased. Many of the stores have started putting their coupons up at the customer service counter so customers have to ask for a specific coupon. Target just changed their coupon policy also. I don't have double coupons in my area but I would not be surprised if some stores stop doubling coupons because of the TV show.

If everyone uses coupons responsibly then we will all benefit!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you. I'm totally annoyed at whoever it is that keeps taking the coupon inserts out of my newspaper before I get out there to get it out of my box on Sunday mornings. I paid for that newspaper. I told my husband if it keeps on, we'll just start buying our newspaper at the Loaf 'N Jug store on Sundays and check to see if the coupons are in it before purchasing it there. I won't purchase them out of the vending type newspaper machines because I think people steal the coupons out of there too.
Actually I'm getting most of the best coupons off the internet now-a-days, so it might just be a good ideal to cancel the newspaper and save money on the subscription.

Janice said...

I 'm like you I grew-up using coupons.I have always used what I needed and have never been one to buy extreme amounts of any one product. That show has been the most negative thing to happen to honest coupon users ever. I watched one show and decided it should be renamed "Extreme Cheating."

Sandy S said...

Thanks for the comments

I actually read a story where they set up cameras at a newspaper vending machine and caught the lady who stealing all the coupon inserts! That was in Texas.

Everyone loves to save money but we really don't need to go to extremes.

Post a Comment

All commments are moderated. Do not be alarmed if your comment does not appear right away.

 
ss_blog_claim=49eb50ef08c1be1f6cc3303f58152710

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.