Wednesday, August 24, 2011
Well, summer is almost over and fall will be here soon. Many families hit the road for Labor Day weekend. The first three day weekend after school starts is a great time to enjoy a road trip getaway. Every year my family attends a family reunion picnic on Labor Day weekend.
AutoZone wants to remind you to stay safe when traveling this Labor Day weekend. Because of the slow economy, people have been keeping their cars instead of purchasing a new ones. A frugal way to save some cash but you need to remember to keep up on the maintenance of your car. Preventive maintenance can help you keep your car repair bills low and keep you from being stranded at the side of the road.
Here are Summer Car Safety Tips from AutoZone:
• Perform routine scheduled maintenance checks. Motorists should check their owner’s manual for a schedule of recommended maintenance intervals from the vehicle manufacturer. If the owner’s manual has been lost, many websites, such as the National Car Care Council’s web site www.carcare.org, offer a recommended maintenance schedule for vehicles.
• Be proactive. Don’t wait for a breakdown to check under the hood. Replacing engine components at required intervals can help prevent an unexpected breakdown.
• Be prepared. Visit an automotive retailer such as AutoZone® to purchase a roadside emergency kit. Also keep items such as a tire pressure gauge, spare serpentine belt and jumper cables handy.
• Check and replace vital vehicle components at recommended intervals. Regular maintenance can prevent costly damage, improve fuel efficiency and prevent an unwanted breakdown. Also keep items such as a tire pressure gauge, spare serpentine belt and jumper cables handy.
• Check and maintain all fluid levels. Consider a quality, synthetic motor oil like Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy to improve fuel efficiency and engine performance. Also, be sure your antifreeze is up to the task for hot summer temperatures. Replace it if needed according to recommended service intervals.
• Test the battery annually. Testing the battery during the summer months can help to avoid being stranded during the hottest time of the year.
• Replace spark plugs as recommended. Spark plugs can affect fuel efficiency, emissions and economy. Change spark plugs at the proper interval.
• Replace oxygen sensors as recommended. Replacing oxygen sensors at the recommended time can significantly improve gas mileage. Check and replace one- and two-wire sensors every 30,000-50,000 miles and every 60,000-100,000 miles for “heated” type oxygen sensors.
• Keep the air filter clean. Replacing a clogged air filter can lead to increased performance and acceleration. Air filters should be checked at every oil change.
Drivers seeking more information about getting their vehicles ready for the summer can visit www.autozone.com for car care tips and maintenance how-to videos.
** Thanks to AutoZone for sponsoring the giveaway. I did not receive any compensation for this post. Like always, my opinions and my thoughts are my own.**
Giveaway Time!! AutoZone is generously offering $50 Visa gift cards and a bottle of Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy motor oil to 4 winners! The Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy motor oil will keep your car running great and the $50 Visa will help pay for the gas. You will be ready for your road trip!
Required entry: Which of the car tips (listed above) do you need to check on your car? Leave one comment.
You can do one or all of the following items. Please leave a comment for each item that you completed. If an item is worth more than 1 entry then leave more than one comment.
• Follow my blog Smart Cents Mom(see the left sidebar to sign up). Already a Follower, that counts too.
• Follow Smart Cents Mom on Twitter (current followers count)
• Tweet about this giveaway and leave the link.
• Subscribe to Smart Cents Mom blog email or RSS feed(see left sidebar to sign up). Current subscribers count too.
• Blog about this giveaway and leave a link to your post.
• Enter my Del Monte Teacher Monday giveaway. Leave a comment saying that you did.
Giveaway is open to United States residents only. The giveaway ends on Thursday September 1, 2011 at 11:59 CST. Four winners will be selected from all entries. Winners will be posted on this blog and notified by email. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be picked.